Total Pageviews

Thursday, 11 April 2013

Simon's Town and the Jenny

The Jenny entering Simon's Town station
I met up with the Urban Sketchers Cape Town on the Easter weekend (Sunday) to sketch the Jenny, a 73 ton coal burning locomotive that initially saw service in Namibia (South West Africa) in the 1940's before being deployed to Paarden Eiland and the Karoo.

Cape Western Vintage Railways and  Atlantic Rail now maintain and run her.

It was a nice day, and I realised that Simon's Town station had change a bit since I caught the train to school in St James and then in Fish Hoek so many years ago.

The Jenny was difficult to sketch - very complex - but everyone focussed and worked hard at it.

I am still enjoying my aquabrush and water soluble pens - they are fast to use and in this instance I was pleased with the appearance of the steam being emitted from the 1379 kPa boilers.  

There were particularly impressive clouds of steam billowing up when they reversed the Jenny out of the statin to connect her to the other end of the waiting carriages.

Now we are getting revved up to go and sketch this Saturday at Muizenberg....should be fun.

No comments: